Parent-Sorensen Mortuary and Crematory got its start in 1856, from very humble beginnings. Located on Third and B Streets in downtown Petaluma, it was originally known as Blackburn Funeral Home, owned and operated by Charles Blackburn. In the 1920s, John C. Mount acquired controlling interest in the funeral home and renamed it John C. Mount Funeral Home. He also relocated the home to Washington Street.
Art Parent, a member of a pioneer Petaluma family, joined John Mount in the late 1930s, and eventually took control of the business in the mid-1940s. He renamed the home Parent Funeral Chapel and relocated it to Keokuk Street. Over the years, another funeral home came to town: Sorensen Funeral Home. This mortuary was founded in 1925, by William Sorensen and originally located on the corner of Washington and Keokuk Streets in the Healey Home. When Sorensen passed away, the mortuary was operated by Oscar Pope and later his son, Robert Pope. The Popes relocated the business to Petaluma Boulevard where the Petaluma Police Station resides. In 1977, Martin D. "Buzz" Rodgers and James M. Smith purchased Parent Funeral Chapel from Art Parent. In the early 1980s, they purchased Sorensen Funeral Home from Robert Pope. Rodgers and Smith consolidated the businesses into Parent-Sorensen Mortuary at 850 Keokuk Street, the Parent Funeral Chapel location, where it still stands today.